Visa Processes





Student Pass and Student Visa

All international students will need a valid Student Pass and Visa to study abroad in Malaysia. By Malaysian law, only public or private Malaysian institutions beneath the jurisdiction of either the Ministry of Higher Education or the Ministry of Home Affairs are able to accept international students.

To obtain a Malaysian student visa you will first need to apply for a Student Pass via the Education Malaysia Global Services. Once you have an approved provisional Student Pass you will be issued a student visa upon your point of entry into Malaysia. You will receive a full Student Pass once in the country.

Before you Leave

You will be issued a Student Visa upon your arrival in Malaysia provided you have your visa approval letter (VAL) ready at the immigration checkpoint.


Once you’ve been accepted by a Malaysian institution they will submit an application for a Student Pass on your behalf. You will need to lodge relevant documentation with your host and pay relevant fees before they can do this. If your application is successful, the Malaysian Immigration Department will issue a letter of approval for a Student Pass to your host. Your host will then send the completed letter to you whilst you are in your home country, along with a signed Personal Bond document that serves as a sort of endorsement of your good character. The letter of approval will act as a provisional Student Pass that enables you to enter the country as a student.


It takes about 5-10 working days to process your application and for a decision to be reached.

Students are advised to submit documents with their host ahead of time as they will not be allowed to enter Malaysia without a letter of approval. When you book your flight to Malaysia, you must tell your host all of your exact arrival details: the airport you’re arriving at, your flight number, your arrival date and time.


All students, except those from the People’s Republic of China (PRC) will be able to enter Malaysia once they have a letter of approval. PRC students will need to obtain a Single-Entry Visa directly from their local Malaysian embassy or the Council of Malaysia before they arrive.